Employee and Student Bulletins
Bulletin Procedures and Guidelines
1. The Employee Bulletin is distributed daily to all employees, missionaries, and volunteers at BYU–Hawaii. The Student Bulletin is distributed daily to all current students. During breaks between semesters, the bulletins will be distributed twice a week. Announcements must be received no later than 8 am to be included in that day's bulletin. Announcements received after the deadline will be included in the next bulletin.
2. Information that pertains to both students and employees must be submitted to each bulletin using the same form. Information and language should be directed at each individual audience. Two versions of the content text should be provided for each bulletin.
3. To submit an announcement, fill out the standard announcement form as provided. To submit an event, fill out the event form so that the event can be included in the university event calendars and lists.
4. Outages, detours, and closures such as road, office, or building closures as well as service interruptions should be submitted as events using the event form with start and end dates for the outage, detour, or closure. If the end date is unknown, an estimated end date should be provided and updates sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Immediate or emergency outages or closures should follow the same process using the immediate outage or closure event form.
5. Announcements must be 80 words or less, including attributions and contact information. If needed, a hyperlink can be included to redirect readers to a web page for more information. We prefer to link to a BYU–Hawaii page (a page within the byuh.edu domain) if possible.
6. Include a name and contact information with the announcement as a resource for people to refer to if they have questions. Email addresses used as contact information must be a BYUH email address (@go.byuh.edu or @byuh.edu).
7. For events or initiatives not hosted or produced by BYU–Hawaii, a supporting or sponsoring department should be mentioned in the bulletin announcement.
8. Survey links should not be included in bulletin announcements. Surveys can be referenced or announced in the bulletins, but the survey links themselves should be sent separately to the survey participants. This is to prevent survey fatigue and bulletin readers from being overwhelmed by survey requests. This also helps to make sure survey participants are the target participants.
9. University Communications reserves the right to refine the text. Please ensure information is correct, such as dates, times, etc.
10. All submissions will be distributed once as new submissions. During the week prior to an event, a link to the event on the online university events website will be included in the appropriate bulletin.
11. All submissions will only run once. If they are re-submitted with the same information, they will not be distributed again.
12. Corrections to previously submitted announcements may be included in the bulletin(s) if they contain important information, such as a date, time, or place change.
13. If your submission needs to be distributed more than once due to the legal requirements or accreditation, a verification must be provided and approval from University Communications must be obtained.
14. Submissions may be chosen to be featured using larger photos and graphics. These are chosen on a case-by-case basis by University Communications.
15. University Communications reserves the right to reject submissions. Policies are subject to change to address unforeseen issues should they arise. We will notify you when changes will be made on this policy.
16. The “Community Happenings” section will feature information from BYU–Hawaii’s community partners. Announcements will be included for large events as deemed appropriate by University Communications that is considered of interest of the bulletin audience. University Communications reserves the right to choose which events and information will be included and limit these inclusions to special occasions and a small number each semester. Community partners include:
- Polynesian Cultural Center
- Hawaii Reserves Incorporated
- Laie Community Association
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
17. Certain campaigns will be allowed a series of three announcements with slightly different information for the same event or campaign. This is reserved for events and announcements that do not occur very frequently and are of greater priority. University Communications reserves the right to determine which announcements qualify. A marketing and announcement schedule and content plan must be submitted ahead of time to qualify for this series.
18. The following announcements are not appropriate for any BYU–Hawaii bulletin:
- Personal commercial advertisements
- Lost and Found
- Other personal business
- Rumors and hearsay
- Individual out of office announcements
- Items or events covering doctrinally sensitive issues
19. Review these policies regularly.
Bulletin Audiences and Recipients
All current students are automatically subscribed to the student bulletin with their BYUH email address supplied by Enterprise Information Systems. The student bulletin audience list is updated once between each semester on the first day of each semester break (the first business day after finals) and once on the first day of each semester. During the semester break, the audience list includes students registered for the previous semester and students registered for the upcoming semester. The student audience list is cleaned out and updated on the first day of each semester so any unsubscriptions or changes to email addresses on the bulletin list using MailChimp will be replaced with the current list of students.
Monitoring the Student Bulletin
Employees who wish to receive the student bulletin to monitor content being sent to students can request to be added to the student bulletin monitor distribution list by emailing email@example.com with your request.
The employee bulletin audience list is provided by Human Resources and updated once a month from the information submitted in Workday. Employees should make sure the email address stored in Workday is correct.
Updating Your Employee Email Address
Employees can update contact information in Workday by following these steps:
- Click on the ‘Personal Information’ icon on your workday homepage
- Under ‘Change’ select the ‘Contact Information’ tab
- Click ‘Edit’ on the top
- Scroll down to ‘Work Contact Information’ and update your work email address from there
Please contact Human Resources with any questions about Workday.