BYU–Hawaii departments wishing to have a banner displayed on BYUH grounds should schedule an approved banner space with Event Services & Outreach and approve their banner content with University Communications prior to printing. Banners should be displayed for at least one week but no longer than two weeks.
How to schedule and approve a banner (timeline)
The process for scheduling and developing a new banner should begin five weeks prior to the time that you would like your banner displayed and at least six weeks prior to an event that is being advertised.
Schedule banner space (1 work week)
Fill out an EMS scheduling form at scheduling.byuh.edu and contact Event Services & Outreach with questions (firstname.lastname@example.org or (808) 675-3784). Please allow up to one workweek for Event Services & Outreach to approve your banner space reservation. The size limitations of your banner space will determine the design and print size of your banner.
Design banner (2 workweeks)
If you will be managing the design of your banner, please make sure it meets all print and design requirements (see reverse side of the page). If you need help designing your banner, please submit a design request to email@example.com. Two workweeks of design and revision time is recommended.
Submit banner design for approval (2 business days)
Send a digital proof to firstname.lastname@example.org. University Communications will review the design to verify that it meets all branding, content quality, and copyright requirements (see reverse side of page). Please allow two business days for revisions and/or approvals.
Submit banner design for printing (5 business days)
Work with Print Services (email@example.com, (808) 675-3461, or byuh.webdeskprint.com) to have your banner printed. Print Services requires a minimum of 5 business days for large format printing.
Deliver your banner for display (2 business days)
Event Services & Outreach must receive your banner at least 2 business days prior to your banner display period.
Banner Displayed (1-2 weeks)
Facilities Management will hang the banner. We recommend banners be displayed for at least one week prior to the event date for effective publicity. Event Services & Outreach will return your banner to you once your scheduled banner display period has passed.
Locations and Sizes of Banners
- Flag Circle (palm trees) — Min: 10 ft wide x 4 ft high Max: 24 ft wide x 4 ft high
- Aloha Center — Min: 8 ft wide x 4 ft high Max: 10 ft wide x 4 ft high
- Cannon Activities Center — Min: 16 ft wide x 4 ft high Max: 20 ft wide x 4 ft high
- McKay Pool — One Size: 10 ft wide x 4 ft high
- PCC Fence — Min: 10 ft wide x 4 ft high Max: 20 ft wide by 4 ft high
- Heber J. Grant Building — Min: 10 ft wide x 4 ft high Max: 18 ft wide by 4 ft high
- McKay Building: Testing Center — One Size: 3 ft wide by 4 ft high
- McKay Building: Counseling and Disability Services — One Size: 3 ft wide by 4 ft high
Designing Your Banner
Design content considerations
- Content should be in line with the messaging and values of BYU–Hawaii. Content and artwork should follow the Honor Code.
- Design elements should follow the BYU–Hawaii Graphic Identity Guideline. Use the official organization/location titles (i.e. “Old Gym” is actually “McKay Gym”).
- Content should follow copyright laws. Permission must be obtained from the copyright owner to use photos and artwork on banners.
- Grammar and spelling should be correct.
- Dates spelt without st, nd, rd, th, or year (i.e. Wednesday, Oct. 10 or Wed, October 10)
- Time spelt without periods, in lowercase letters, and space between the number and am/pm (i.e. 11 am – 12 pm).
- When preparing your designs for Print Services
- File resolution should be no less than 300 dpi at actual size.
- Design files should be set for the finished banner size. See size limitations for each banner display location on first page.
- Final banner size should be specified in the order email.
- Bleed and cut marks are not needed.
- Use CMYK colors and CMYK color mode.
- PDF file format is best for printing.
Design and print recommendations
Banners are displayed outdoors and need to be sturdy and weather resistant. Banners are to be printed by Print Services on university-approved banner material.
Creating re-usable banners is preferred because of the printing costs involved. Plan your marketing and generalize your banner design by using a day of the week for your event rather than a specific date. For example, “This Monday” rather than “Monday, April 16”. This, of course, means that your banner would only be displayed for 1 week and will only work for events that are on consistent days of the week.
Notes from Print Services
All of our banners are manufactured from heavy-duty, nylon reinforced vinyl.
Banners include grommets at each of the corners and every two feet (or closer, as needed).
All banner files should be submitted at the size of the banner you are requesting. For example, a 12-foot x 4-foot banner file size should be submitted at 144 inches by 48 inches.
For further questions inquire at (808) 675-3461.