- Plan a marketing strategy.
- Reserve the space through scheduling.
- Design the banner.
- Submit the banner design to University Communications for approval.
- Print the approved banner at Print Services.
- Deliver it to Event Services & Outreach.
- The banner is on display.
Process and Guidelines
Detailed Instructions and Timeline
Banner Locations and Sizes
Toggle ItemStep 1: Planning (6 workweeks)The process for scheduling and developing a new banner should begin five weeks before the time that you would like your banner displayed and at least six weeks before an event that is being advertised.
Banners are displayed outdoors and need to be sturdy and weather resistant. Creating re-usable banners is preferred because of the printing costs involved. Plan your marketing and generalize your banner design by using a day of the week for your event rather than a specific date. For example, “This Monday” rather than “Monday, April 16”. It will mean that your banner would only be displayed for one week and will only work for events that are on consistent days of the week. Using a short-customized web address is also an effective way of directing your target audience to detailed information that can be easily updated online.
- Banners should be displayed for at least one week but no longer than two weeks.
- Departments are allowed to reserve up to three locations maximum.
Toggle ItemStep 2: Schedule Banner Space (1 workweek)Submit your request at scheduling.byuh.edu or contact Event Services & Outreach for assistance or questions at email@example.com or (808) 675-3784. Please allow up to one workweek for Event Services & Outreach to approve your banner space reservation. The size limitations of your banner space will determine the design and print size of your banner.
Toggle ItemStep 3: Design Banner (2 workweeks)If you are managing the design of your banner, please make sure that it meets all brand guidelines and print requirements. To receive the official brand training and access to your BYUH department logo, email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you need help designing your banner, please submit a design request. A minimum of two workweeks of design and revision is recommended.
- Content and artwork should be in line with the messaging and values of BYU–Hawaii and should follow the Honor Code.
- Grammar and spelling should be correct
- Write out the dates with the day of the week, the month, and the number of the day without st, nd, rd, th, or the year (e.g., Wednesday, Oct. 10 or Wed, October 10). The year may be included only for annual events.
- Times are spelled without periods, in lowercase letters, and space between the number and am/pm (e.g.,11 am – 12 pm).
- Use the official department/organization and location titles. Refer to the Editorial Style Guide for these titles.
- Include an official BYUH department logo (Refer to the university brand guidelines for additional help on logo usage and treatment)
Toggle ItemStep 4: Submit Banner Design For Approval (2 business days)Send a digital proof to email@example.com. University Communications will review the design to verify that it meets all branding, content quality, and copyright requirements. Please allow two business days for revisions and/or approvals.
Toggle ItemStep 5: Print Your Banner (5 business days)Ensure that your document is set up correctly for printing. Banners should be created in CMYK mode, produced in high resolution (at least 300 dpi), saved as a PDF file, and without crop marks and bleeds. Banners are to be printed by Print Services on university-approved banner material. Once you have your document ready, place an order online. They require a minimum of
5 business days for large format printing.
*Notes From Print Services
All of the banners are manufactured from heavy-duty, nylon reinforced vinyl.
Banners include grommets at each of the corners and every two feet (or closer, as needed).
All banner files should be submitted at the size of the banner you are requesting. For further questions, inquire at (808) 675-3461.
Toggle ItemStep 6: Deliver Your Banner For Display (2 business days)Event Services & Outreach must receive your banner at least 2 business days prior to your banner display period. Their office is located on the second floor of the Lorenzo Snow Building.
Toggle ItemStep 7: Banner Displayed (1-2 weeks)Facilities Management will hang the banner. We recommend banners be displayed for at least one week before the event date for effective publicity. Event Services & Outreach will return your banner to you once your scheduled banner display period has passed.
Locations and Sizes of Banners
Flag Circle Banner Example
Aloha Center Banner Example
Cannon Activities Center Banner Example
McKay Pool Banner Example
PCC Fence Banner Example
HGB Banner Example
Testing Center Banner Example
Counseling & Disability Services Banner Location
1 of 8
- Flag Circle (palm trees) Min: 10 ft wide x 4 ft high; Max: 16 ft wide x 4 ft high
- Aloha Center — Min: 8 ft wide x 4 ft high; Max: 10 ft wide x 4 ft high
- Cannon Activities Center — Min: 16 ft wide x 4 ft high; Max: 20 ft wide x 4 ft high
- McKay Pool — One Size: 10 ft wide x 4 ft high
- PCC Fence — Min: 10 ft wide x 4 ft high; Max: 20 ft wide by 4 ft high
- Heber J. Grant Building — Min: 10 ft wide x 4 ft high; Max: 18 ft wide by 4 ft high
- McKay Building: Testing Center — One Size: 3 ft wide by 4 ft high
- McKay Building: Counseling & Disability Services — One Size: 3 ft wide by 4 ft high