Sidewalk Signs on Campus
BYU–Hawaii University Communications is implementing a form of advertising on campus by using two-sided sidewalk signs in high traffic areas to publicize events. Organizations wishing to use this form of advertising should send their designs to University Communications (UC) for approval. UC will arrange the display of the poster and the use of the frame.
Toggle ItemStep 1: Planning (3 workweeks)
Plan out how your department will be using the sidewalk sign(s). Is it to promote a calendar of events? Is it to promote your department services or an event? How long are you thinking to leave it up? What locations will be effective to reach your target audience?
Toggle ItemStep 2: Schedule and Reserve the Signs (1-2 business days)
Email your request for sidewalk sign(s) at email@example.com. Mention the number of signs you're requesting (one-sided or two-sided), display dates, and locations.
For effective publicity, we recommend displaying the sidewalk poster(s) several days before the event date and at locations where your target audience will see it.
Please allow up to two workdays for UC to approve your sidewalk poster space request. The maximum reservation is three signs two-sided (depending on availability). The maximum display time is one month.
Toggle ItemStep 3: Design (1 workweek)
If you are doing the design work, make sure that it meets all print and design requirements. One week of design and revision is recommended.
If you need help with designing it or setting it up to print, please submit a design request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Providing one week for design and revision is recommended.
Email email@example.com for the design template (an .ai file is available).
Toggle ItemStep 4: Submit for Approval (2-5 business days)
Send a digital proof to firstname.lastname@example.org. University Communications will review the design, verify that it is set up to print properly, meets brand guidelines and copyright requirements. Please allow at least two business days for revision and/or approvals.
Toggle ItemStep 5: Print Your Design and Deliver to University Communications (2-5 business days)
Once you have your design approved, place an order online with Print Services. On Print Shop Pro go to "New Order," "Printing Order," and then select "WF Banners." Select "2' x 3'" and begin filling in the text fields of the order. In the special instructions, request to deliver them to University Communications.
Toggle ItemStep 6: Display (1-3 weeks)
University Communications will put the sidewalk signs on display at the reserved locations. After the reservation's display period is over, University Communications will take them down and return the signs upon request.
Email email@example.com for the design template (.ai and .PSD files are available).
- Dimensions: 23" x 29"; The safe zone begins at 0.5" from the edge of the poster on all four sides (the frame of the sidewalk sign will cover the edges).
- If the content includes a "call to action" and it is to visit a website for more information, use a customized, shortened, and memorable link. *Not all users know how to scan QR codes. If you choose to use a QR code, also include the link and place it at the top part of the design to make it within reach for individuals to scan.
- Content and artwork should be in line with the messaging and values of BYU–Hawaii and the Honor Code.
- Write out the dates with the day of the week, the month, and the number of the day without st, nd, rd, th, or the year (e.g., Wednesday, Oct. 10 or Wed, October 10). The year may be included only for annual events.
- Times are spelled without periods, in lowercase letters, and space between the number and am/pm (e.g.,11 am – 12 pm).
- Use the official department/organization and location titles. Refer to the Editorial Style Guide for these titles.
- Include an official BYUH department logo (Refer to the university brand guidelines for additional help on logo usage and treatment).
*Posters are at risk of sun damage and condensation due to the unpredictable weather conditions and depending on the display duration. Excessively long display periods are not recommended.
Sidewalk Sign Location Recommendations:
1. Sidewalks at the Hales
2. Library front entrance
3. Between Club Dining and the McKay Classroom Building
4. Sidewalk across the CAC
5. McKay Auditorium front entrance
6. HGB front entrance
7. Stake Center entrance
8. Science Building entrance
9. Lorenzo Snow Building entrance
*You may discuss these locations upon your request.
Email your request for sidewalk sign(s) at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please allow up to two workdays for UC to approve your sidewalk poster space request. The maximum reservation is three signs two-sided (depending on availability). The maximum display time is one month.