Who can use social media?
Once approved by University Communications, BYU–Hawaii departments may use Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and other social media tools as a communication channel.
How should BYUH use social media?
These channels should be used to provide value to students, explain the purpose of the department, announce events, and aid students in navigating university life. Each account should have a distinct purpose, audience, and content plan. New accounts must be approved by University Communications before creation. All current accounts must be verified through social media procedures. All individuals administering or coordinating social media content should be trained by University Communications.
According to our procedures, all official university accounts must comply with the following:
- Social media handle must be @byuh_______(department name).
- Account must use the approved social media profile photo.
- Account must use the full and official department, program, or faculty unit name, accurate links, correct contact information, hours/location (if relevant), the purpose of the department, and account.
- A full-time employee must be designated as responsible for managing content and administering the social media account.
- Content should be reviewed and approved by the full-time employee responsible for the account prior to publishing.
- Comments and messages should be reviewed daily.
- Content must follow copyright laws.
- Content must align with the Honor Code.
- Account must represent the university in a respectful manner.
- Passwords for accounts must be changed and updated once a semester and each time an employee leaves who's responsibilities included having access to the account.
- Account must meet the social media sustainability guideline.
Can BYUH departments have a YouTube channel?
If a department simply needs a place to publish videos, we request that departments host and post videos in coordination with University Communications on the
official university YouTube
account. Individual channels may be available upon request if the department can prove the need for and plan for the amount of video and social content needed for a successful YouTube channel.
Meet the guidelines? What's next?
To receive recognition as an official university account, please fill out the request for social media training form.
All content that is posted must be consistent, accurate, respectful, focused, and represent the university accordingly.
If you have questions regarding this procedure, please email email@example.com .